Saturday, 31 January 2015

Ending up in Rome after my Mauritius?!

On Saturday I had the pleasure of travelling to Mauritius for the first time! I was a bit apprehensive of this trip because flights there are a whopping 12 hours long. It is the longest flight we do out of Gatwick, so I knew I needed to be well rested for it.

It was a very senior crew, and as per usual, my name was right at the bottom of the list. This meant I got stuck in Club. Everyone has different preferences of where they like to work, but if you have read any of my previous blog posts, you will know that I much prefer working down the back, serving 100+ people, rather than flapping around passengers that have paid a lot of money for their seat. I think it’s just because in my eyes, a club ticket costs so much and I could never imagine spending that much on one. It actually freaks me out when I have to serve people that do have that kind of money or have spent their entire life savings for it. I also hadn’t worked in Club for a couple of months, so it took me a while to get used to the routine. Luckily I had 12 hours to remember it again.

The flight itself was pretty straight forward. The passengers were lovely and it seemed that the majority of the passengers got off the aircraft looking happy. Our Cabin Manager was quite surprised as apparently, due to the long flight, passengers usually get off at Mauritius in a mood! Ha. We must have done something right then. 

We arrived in the morning, so after the hour journey from airport to hotel, we finally arrived exhausted. We all agreed to meet in the evening for drinks and dinner and spent the rest of the time resting and chilling. By 6pm, we were sipping on our complimentary cocktail and then made our way over to an indian restaurant. After the restaurant, we went across a river to the sister hotel, and had a nice evening at the bar. By this point, we had already organised what we were going to do for the two free days we had!

The next day, most of the crew got a taxi over to Club Med. This was a lovely all inclusive resort. For around £40, we were allowed to go for the day. We had a lovely day by the pool and beach drinking and eating as much as our bellies could handle. Such a bargain! A few of us even got to do some water sports and go on a Hobie Cat. It was so much fun. That evening we went across to the sister hotel again for some dinner. I had lamb chops and they were so good!

The following day, the hotel had organised a catamaran cruise for us. It was around £30, and this included the boat for the whole day, drinks and a BBQ for lunch. It was so relaxing to be able to lay at the front of the boat on the net and read. I managed to read the majority of my book! A few of the crew also paid a bit extra and done some water sports when we docked near a resort. At this point, it was nearly lunch so the BBQ was started! There was chicken, sausages, fish, salad, bread, and they even cooked some bananas on the BBQ after. Nom nom nom. 

After getting back to the hotel at around 4pm, I had spent all that I wanted to on the trip, so spent the evening in my room. We were leaving early the next morning so I wanted to get some rest anyway. By the time I had woken up the next morning, I was ready to go back to England. However, when most of the crew had congregated in the hotel lobby to get on the bus that morning, it was evident that something wasn’t right. Turns out one of our First Officer’s had contracted Gastroenteritis whilst in Mauritius and could not operate home. With only two flight crew for a 12 hour flight, it was not possible for them to operate the full way back, as they would have gone over their maximum operating flying hours. We were not sure whether we were going to have to stay in Mauritius for another day, or fly somewhere closer instead. In the end, we left for the airport not knowing what we were going to be doing. By the time we arrived, it was settled: We would be flying to Rome instead. They were going to position a whole new crew out to meet us in Rome, take over, and we were going to fly back with them as passengers! 10 hours later, we arrived in Rome, the new crew took over, and we sat at the back of the plane in our uniforms for the next two hours. 

By the time I got back home, it was 9pm and had been up since 12am, so I was definitely ready for my bed! It was such a good trip, and although it took us a while to get home, it just made me appreciate my bed more! 

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. mauritius golf