Monday, 15 December 2014

A Little Bit of Heaven in the Maldives

I never thought for a million years that after 2 months, I would check my roster and see that I had a 6 day trip to Malé! Malé trips are rare as hens teeth, that only crew that have been at BA for years get. One of the crew that trained our group in August told us that in the 7 years she has worked for BA, she had been to Malé twice. So imagine my surprise when a newbie like me got it! I was a little apprehensive at first because with such a long trip it can be very isolating if the crew who you are with keep to themselves. With a trip that is usually full of senior crew, not many people want to go out and explore because they have done it many times before. I didn’t have to worry though, I had an amazing crew (two brought along friends as well) so I had a week of pure bliss. 

We arrived just before lunch which I found very strange. This was the first flight I had done where we were going forward in time zones rather than backwards. To get to our hotel in Malé, we had to get a boat across. So cool! We checked into our rooms and I tried to stay awake but tiredness got the better of me and I ended up sleeping for a few hours. Luckily, we had only made dinner plans so I was alive and kicking and wanting chicken by the time it got to dinner. A few of us went to a lovely restaurant just down the road from the hotel. Unfortunately, the service in male is slow, really slow, so my hungry belly had to wait a little while longer. It was definitely worth it though. I had Butter Chicken with Naan and Rice and it was delicious! Even better, it only cost me 7USD. Bargain! By the time we had finished dinner, it was chucking it down with rain and all the roads had flooded. We ended up walking back with water up to our ankles! 

The First Officer was kind enough to organise a trip over for us to Kurumba Island the next day, so after breakfast we got onto a boat and headed towards paradise. Kurumba Island is an all inclusive island resort. BA were never going to be able to afford to let us stay there but for 30USD we were allowed to spend the day there. It was incredible. The sea was so blue and the sand so white, I honestly felt like I was in paradise. We went snorkelling, and spent the day chilling in heaven. By the time we got the boat back, the sun had set and I had made some new friends. After a quick shower, we all met up again for dinner. Turns out there were only about two restaurants on the island that were open due to a fire at a desalination plant causing there to be a water shortage across the whole island. We were lucky that the hotel had its own back up supply! Dinner was yummy. I love being in a hot country and being able to eat outside. There is nothing better! It really makes me want to move abroad. 

Anyway, the next day we were required to do the shuttle to Colombo, Sri Lanka, and were due back around 3pm so there wasn’t much time to do anything after. The flight there and back was pretty empty, we had only 5 people up in Club so it was a supposedly quick and easy flight. Hah. It was not. We got about ten minutes to landing though when we were told that a flight before ours(Etihad) had spilt hydraulic oil all over the runway so we couldn't land! In the end, we ended up circling above Male airport for an extra 2 hours! Lucky we had fuel. By the time we got back it was late, so I ended up having a quiet evening by myself. 

The next day was the day I was looking forward to most. The First Officer had organised a boat trip for us! For 70USD each we got our own private boat  for the 7 of us which gave us ample time to sunbathe, visit a sandbank, have a BBQ on board with fish that was freshly caught, go snorkelling, visit a local island and also go dolphin watching. It was one of the best days I’ve ever had. The company was great, there was a lot of laughter, and the people that took us out were so awesome! We spent the whole day out at sea, and by the time we got back, it was time for dinner! It was a bittersweet dinner, as we knew that the next day we would be going home in the afternoon. 

At this point, I had spent all the money I wanted to, and my back was horrendously sunburnt so I spent the next morning chilling in my room. In the afternoon we got picked up by the boat ready to go back to the airport, back home…We were all so sad to go home because we had such an amazing time. The flight home was drama free and before long, we were touching down at  Gatwick in the cold! Yes, It was bloody freezing. 

So that was my trip to Malé. Words can’t describe how amazing it was. I am currently sitting in my living room with about 5 layers on longing to be back in the heat. Fingers crossed it will be sometime soon….

Speak soon,



No comments:

Post a Comment